英文写作中的一种常用技巧就是押头韵描写(alliteration)。简单来说,就是前后两词的第一个音节,发音相同,收音节轻脆之效。这种案例在报刊杂志和标语广告中最为常见。
1. Business is booming in this big world.
现在的生意红火,形势大好(生意好得爆开来)。
2. Do you think the board members will kiss each other? – Sure, why not, then they will start kicking and killing. It is normal.
董事之间,相亲相爱,对吧?——当然没错,然后就大开杀戒,这也没什么嘛。
3. Don’t blur the distinction between public interest and personal issue.
公私分明(大众兴趣和个人之事,有所区别)。
4. Don’t drink and drive.
喝酒不开车。
5. Don’t move, or you can be a martyr.
别逞能,否则别想活命。
6. Finally I took him down with my own hands, as happy as Hamlet.
最后我亲手把他给解决了,真是痛快。
7. He is our family physician slash a friendly philosopher.
他是我们的家庭医生,人很好,又有智慧。
8. He is the ball, or brick that is ready to break any window all the time.
他就是闯祸精,唯恐天下不乱(他又是球,又是砖头,看到窗子就砸)。
9. He pulled the plug on the job last month.
他上个月辞职了。
10. He left me first, and I left him forever.
他离开我,我再也没和他联络。
11. He runs a bed-and-breakfast inn.
他经营民宿。
12. His biggest ambition is to be a family beer man.
他胸无大志(窝在家里喝啤酒)。
13. How can you expect to find any muscle in marshmallow like him?
他根本就是弱鸡一只,还有什么指望?
14. His street name was built by blood.
他可是打出了名号(杀出一条血路)。
15. I am afraid that things will go brutal and bloody.
我担心后果会不堪设想。
16. I am afraid that your consideration is getting close to concern.
你的考虑,好像多虑了(原来是考虑,好像快变成忧虑了)。
17. I can’t push you to put off your defense against me.
你我有心结,我不能逼你说别放在心上。
18. If he bites you, you beat him back.
他惹你,你就回他一拳(礼尚往来,针锋相对)。
19. If I were you, I would bury my broken bones in my backyard.
如果我是你的话,我自认不是对手(把自己断掉的骨头埋在自家后院)。
20. In a blink of eye, children grow up and (are) gone. That’s life.
转眼之间,孩子长大了,也就不在身边。人生就是如此。
21. Is he a big deal to our operation? – Bigger than biggest.
以这次行动来说,他很重要吗?——很重要,非常非常重要。
22. It is family members that make a house a home.
有家人,才有家的感觉。
23. It is your kid, your cash, and it is your call.
你自己的孩子,花你自己的钱,你自己看着办吧。
24. Life is just a quick cup of coffee to me.
人生短暂(好像就是很快喝杯咖啡而已)。
25. Look at my beer belly.
看看我这个大肚皮。
26. Mountain mommy is calling me back home.
想回家乡,看看山(久居山中,山如母亲)。
27. My punch is more persuasive than my words.
讲理不如讲力。
28. Now Harry is as happy as Hamlet in his Halloween parade after he answered the question.
亨利现在可是快活得很(回答这个问题之后,亨利快乐得很,好像参加万圣节游行,而且还打扮成哈姆雷特)。
If I can give you a push here, nice and easy, then why don’t you give yourself a pull anywhere, strong and hard? It is just a small trick, but it will be a big treat. So just give it a try.